Job Opportunity | Assistant Manager | Hammonds Plains Entertainment
|Position Title:||Assistant Manager|
|Department:||Business Operations – Hammonds Plains Entertainment Ltd|
|Salary:||$ 19.00 - $ 22.00 per hour (dependant upon successful candidates’ qualifications)|
|Term:||Full-time, permanent, 40 hours per week/shift work required|
|Location:||Hammonds Plains Entertainment, Hammonds Plains NS|
|Position Reports to:||Manager|
Acadia First Nation (AFN), owns and operates the Hammonds Plains Entertainment facility located in Hammonds Plains, NS. The facility, new in its operations since December 2019, provides VLT’s for entertainment, drive thru for tobacco and ancillary services, a store front location for products and services. AFN is currently recruiting for an Assistant Manager, on a full-time basis, providing overall support to the Manager in effectively managing business operations and profitability, including hiring and retaining the best team and overseeing annual revenue.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Manager in employee management which includes, but is not limited to:
- Assist with hiring, training, and supervising staff according to policies and procedures and the Operations of Establishments Manual, and aligned with Human Resource policies, where applicable
- Delegate work duties and coordinate staff shifts, shift exchanges, etc., where applicable
- Respond and resolve employees’ complaints and conflicts in absence of the Manager
- The review and documentation of employee’s performance, while managing and coaching staff
- Tracking time aspects for staff, such as sick time, vacation requests, late arrivals etc.
- Supervising, monitoring staff performance, conducting employee performance evaluations according to AFN policies and procedures and the AFN Operations of Establishments Manual
- Assist the Manager in shift coverage for any role in the event there are no employees available to work due to emergencies or a sudden lack of staff availability (example: resignation/dismissal of employees)
- Perform Manager duties in the absence of Manager, and upon approval
- Keep equipment operating by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, maintaining supplies, performing preventative maintenance, and calling for repairs as needed
- Assist the Manager with customer relationship management ensuring a high-quality customer experience is delivered by handling customer complaints and resolving in a timely manner
- Support the Manager in retail management and reporting duties which include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with determining the retail product mix to meet customer demand and store presentation, evaluate data on products, revenue and expenses on a regular basis, and plan and organize sales and promotions
- Assist with the requisition of supplies, equipment, services and payments upon the Manager’s approval
- Manage the inventory and pricing while informing the Manager of any changes, additions, etc.
- Assist with cash deposits, cash management, posting of invoices and report any overages and shortages to the Manager
- Formulating pricing policies to achieve adequate mark-up while remaining competitive in the market in partnership with the AFN inventory department
- Assist the Manager in quota tobacco inventory management, as needed
- Inform the Manager of call-ins, expenses, and payments
- Attentive to inventory details including posting invoices and providing inventory reports
- Inventory ordering, acquisition, and the forwarding of invoices for payment of all products
- Inspecting products for expiration dates and freshness
- Assist the Manager in maintaining cleanliness and general maintenance of the store by contacting people for minor repairs and maintenance, and ensuring employees are conducting floor duties and adhering to rules, regulations, and inspections
- Support the Manager in ensuring that security is maintained and that employees are complying with all security policies and procedures, presenting a safe environment for customers
- Maintain and support a positive community image and participate in in-store public and community relations
- Adhere to all Acadia First Nation (AFN) Policies, Procedures and necessary store procedures, as required
- Other duties, training and activities related to Assistant Manager’s position, as required
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma (GED or equivalent will also be accepted)
- Two-years of relevant experience in retail, preferably supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform all the essential tasks of the job
- Occupational Health & Safety training is an asset
- First Aid and CPR training is an asset
- WHMIS Certification is an asset
- Must be bondable
- Criminal record check required upon hiring
ABILITIES, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Strong multitasking skills and an ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to listen and observe behaviour
- Demonstrated effective time management and problem-solving abilities
- Strong decision-making skills
- Strong ability to hire, train and coach staff, working effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrated computer skills, e.g., Word, Excel, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills, organization ability, and written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to lead a team in a supportive and inclusive manner
- Demonstrated initiative in learning new tasks and improving processes
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Solid business acumen, ability to understand and deal effectively with a variety of business risks and opportunities
- A commitment to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion
Deadline to Apply: May 31, 2023
Acadia First Nation is equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume to **Please quote HPASSISTANTMANAGER# on your cover letter and indicate your salary expectations for this position.
AFN reserves the right to refuse any and all applications for employment and does not assume candidate expenses related to this recruitment process.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.