Job Opportunity | Mi’kmaq Onsite Monitors | Tusket Falls, Tusket
Mi’kmaq Onsite Monitors
|RATE||$15.00 per hour/30-40 hours per week|
|POSITIONS||8 positions available|
|DURATION||Estimated 5 months in 2021, 8 months in 2022 and two months in 2023|
|LOCATION||Tusket Falls Main Dam, Tusket|
|ESTIMATED START DATE||July 2021|
NSP is preparing to rebuild the existing Tusket Falls Main Dam structure to meet current safety standards. The scope of work requires the draw down of Lake Vaughn Reservoir, exposing the original shorelines including Kings and Gavel Lakes. This drawdown has the potential to expose Mi’kmaq archaeologically significant areas and artifacts.
In understanding the Mi’kmaq cultural significance and archeological potential of the Lake Vaughn Reservoir, Kings and Gavel Lakes areas, AFN is hiring eight (8) Mi’kmaq Onsite Monitors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaboration onsite with NSP’s contractor, sub-contractors and the archeological consultant, Davis McIntyre and Associates
- Active participation in all onsite NSP and archaeological consultant safety and tool box meetings
- Adherence to the Mi’kmaq Archaeological Protocols
- Knowledge and compliance to all safety protocols onsite (construction, boat safety, risk and hazard assessments, COVID-19 guidelines)
- Patrol and observe the exposed shorelines of Lake Vaughn Reservoir, Gavel and Kings Lakes for potential looters of Mi’kmaq artifacts
- Establish and provide regular reporting of monitoring activities
- Knowledge and safe operation of a drone and associated technology to support monitoring exposed shorelines
- Transportation by boat to remote locations
- Acadia First Nation member
- Keen interest in archaeology
- Valid driver’s license preferred
- Basic and or advanced drone training an asset (training will be provided)
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card an asset (training will be provided)
- First Aid & CPR/WHMIS preferred
- Detail oriented
- Physically fit and ability to work in secluded areas
- Agile to handle uneven surfaces and rough terrain
Deadline to Apply: May 10, 2021
AFN reserves the right to refuse any and all applications for employment and does not assume candidate expenses related to this recruitment process.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.